Sunday, November 22, 2009

It warmed up to 20,

so we decided it would be a good day for a hike.  And no, I did not miss type.  Today was the warmest day in the last 1 and 1/2 weeks at the tropical temperature of 20.  I have been adjusting to the sub-freezing temperatures okay.  My new snow boots have been put to the test and they work pretty well, and I am soooo glad I got a new coat before I moved up here.  The hardest part about the quickly approaching winter is the disappearing daylight.  We are down to 6 hours and 43 minutes of light tomorrow!  I have been getting through the dark by making sure to get outside and do something during the daylight every day, even if it is just going for a walk around the neighborhood.  Luckily, most days we have a stream trip to get me outside for an hour or so.

Anyways, my goal of getting me outside let me to accept an invitation to go hiking with my co-worker Dan today.  We took a 4 mile hike on the Refuge which let to an amazing view of Skilak Lake and the glacier. 

 The hike was only 2 miles to the top, but the added challenge of hiking in snow made it pretty interesting.  What's more, when we finally got to the top, we were almost blown away by the gale force winds!

Regardless of the weather, I love getting out on the refuge to go hiking, and hiking in the snow comes with the added bonus of getting to see tracks.  Even though we didn't see any animals willing to come out on a windy day, we saw snowshoe hare, moose, mouse, and possibly lynx tracks.  Here is a picture of the elusive snow monster track.

I have a few more pictures here.  I miss everyone and am looking forward to the quickly approaching visit home I will be taking for Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment