Monday, June 1, 2009

Its a little cold here

Well, I made it to Kenai with almost no trouble. One of my bags made it about four hours after I did, but the airline brought it to my house which was nice. After my long flight, my boss at the FWS picked me up at the airport and took me to the bunk house where I will be staying for the next year. The bunk house is actually a house that they rent for the interns, not a log cabin with a bunch of bunk beds. Currently there are five other people living with me, but they are all moving to field camps over the next couple of weeks. Thursday I got bear safety and gun safety training (don't worry, I won't be carrying a gun), and I got to go to the shooting range on Friday and shoot a shot gun for the first time. It was quite an experience. Once I found out that I was left eye dominant, I was actually a pretty good shot. I hit all three of my shots in the moving target right in the kill zone.

At work right now, I am getting ready for the Kenai River Festival; we are going to have a big tent set up with different stations to teach kids about fishing. It sounds like I am going to love my job. My main project once the school year starts is going to be going to local schools and leading the adopt a stream program. Pretty much I am going to get to play in the creek all day. All of the people who work there are very friendly.

I am really excited to get to see some of the Alaskan wildlife. So far, I have seen about 3 moose, a couple eagles, some ravens and a few other birds. I took a very long walk today around what are the cross country ski trails in the winter. It was a really long long walk, but it was nice to get out side. The weather has been kinda cold and wet (in the 40s and 50s), but the rain held off for me today. Apparently the weather had been great up until the day I got here, so I am hoping it will get nice again soon. It is all really different looking here than TN, but it has not set in yet that I am going to be here for a whole year. Right now the only thing on anybody's mind is fishing; I think one of the girls at work is going to take me out with her sometime soon. The first King salmon are making their way to the rivers so maybe I will land a big one!

No comments:

Post a Comment