Monday, June 15, 2009

Kenai River Fest=Success

This past weekend was the Kenai River Festival, and the first event that I got to participate in at my new job. We hosted the Pathway to Fishing where I taught fish anatomy and habitat and my other co-workers led fishing gear, fish handling, knot tying, and safety. Finally, we had casting practice with groups of about 20 kids lined up all flinging rubber weights tied to the end of their fishing poles at wooden fish mouths and kiddie pools. Needless to say, it was quite exciting.
The other parts of the festival were fun too, although, i only got to walk around for a few minutes. There were alot of groups supporting the management of the river, and alot of vendors selling everything from llama wool to giant baby shower cakes make out of diapers. There was live music during the entire festival, and I bet no one at Bonnaroo got to hear about 5 different versions of Rollin' On the River.
The weather was perfect on Saturday and turned good on Sunday despite the clouds in the morning. It was a fun weekend, and I am glad I got to meet some of the people out in the community even if I couldn't answer any of their fishing questions. There are no Environmental Ed. events coming up soon, so I think I may get to try my hand at sampling some Chinook. I'll let you know how that goes later.

No comments:

Post a Comment