Thursday, June 4, 2009

So far, Moose are still exciting




Yesterday for work, one of the girls I work with took me on a great tour of Kenai and Soldotna. I saw the Soldotna museum where they had some of the original log cabins where the first homesteaders lived. I can not imagine living in a one bed room cabin in he best of times let alone when there was snow every where and no roads, and I am really glad that I don't have to eat homemade canned salmon because it looked awful. I finally got to see the coast and the cook inlet which is right next to Old Kenai where the first little town was. The Russian Orthodox church is in Old Kenai and it is a really interesting building with an even more interesting priest. He told us the story of every piece of art in the the little sanctuary; I think that during the summer he functions as both priest and tour guide. Every where we went people were so friendly and wanted to tell us everything about Alaska. One lady even gave us a 50 year old news paper to take back to the office because it had an article about the moose population. The news paper had a really funny article about a guy who fell off his roof, broke his arm and had to be flown into Anchorage "for repairs." We also went to see the old cannery which was the industry that Kenai was once centered around. The original port where they used to have a market place is still there and now it is full of interesting little shops that open in the summer to sell to the tourists which I think is kinda fitting.
Last night after our day trip, we were watching movies at the bunk house when Bertha the moose decided to eat dinner in our yard. Me and the other guys not from Alaska were really excited and all went outside to take pictures which the people from Alaska found silly. So far I have seen about 8 moose, but I still think it is cool that she came right up to the house.
Today was not as exciting. I have been fixing up all the old kid's fishing rods for our booth at the upcoming Kenai River fest which is tedious, but I guess fixing fishing rods is still a lot better than most other office work. Yesterday was great weather which was good since I was out sightseeing, and it has been raining today which is also good because the Salmon are not as numerous as they should be in some places. Apparently salmon like rain.
I have added all of my pictures from yesterday online at http://picasaweb.google.com/EmilyS52486/WelcomeToAlaska#

No comments:

Post a Comment